- a date on which two couples go together
- an occasion when two couples go out together
- a date where two people and their partners go together
- a social engagement in which two couples participate together
- When Jim and Sam went on a double date with their girlfriends, they had a fun evening together.
- Well, now that you are dating my girlfriend’s brother, we can go on a double date sometime; it would really be fun, what do you say?
- They had gone on a double date with another couple who were their friends, and had a really good time together.
- When they went on a date to the restaurant, they met an old friend who was on a date with his partner, so they joined up and had a double date.
- Bill asked two girls at the club whether they would like to go on a double date with him and his friend.
- Tom wanted Sally to go on a date with a friend of his, but when she was reluctant, he said that he would also go along with his wife, so it would be a double date.
The origin of the phrase is not known.
Idiom of the Day
head above water
head above water Meaning | Synonyms to succeed to survive in bad financial situations to keep itself out of trouble in any difficult situation manage to live well even in financial ... Read on