- someone, usually a man, who has a secret affair while being in a relationship
- a man who betrays, or is unfaithful to his wife or girlfriend
- a man who cheats on his partner
- a man who has had a secret sexual relationship with someone who is not his regular partner.
- a man who commits adultery or is promiscuous.
- I heard Bill had an affair with his wife’s best friend! What a love rat he is!
- He’s had affairs with numerous women while still being married to her. He’s a complete love rat.
- When it was discovered that the star footballer was having an affair with another woman while his wife was expecting, the press had a field time cashing in on the scandal and calling him a love rat.
- You are already in a relationship, why do you want to ask another woman out for a date? Don’t be a love rat.
- When the popular minister’s adulterous relationships were revealed, his political career came crashing down. The press called him a love rat and his image in the public took a huge beating.
This expression originated during the 1990s in journalism and is used by the press and popular newspapers.