- someone, usually a man, who has a secret affair while being in a relationship
- a man who betrays, or is unfaithful to his wife or girlfriend
- a man who cheats on his partner
- a man who has had a secret sexual relationship with someone who is not his regular partner.
- a man who commits adultery or is promiscuous.
- I heard Bill had an affair with his wife’s best friend! What a love rat he is!
- He’s had affairs with numerous women while still being married to her. He’s a complete love rat.
- When it was discovered that the star footballer was having an affair with another woman while his wife was expecting, the press had a field time cashing in on the scandal and calling him a love rat.
- You are already in a relationship, why do you want to ask another woman out for a date? Don’t be a love rat.
- When the popular minister’s adulterous relationships were revealed, his political career came crashing down. The press called him a love rat and his image in the public took a huge beating.
This expression originated during the 1990s in journalism and is used by the press and popular newspapers.
Idiom of the Day
bits and pieces
bits and pieces Meaning miscellaneous small objects mixed tiny pieces small objects of jobs of many different types a variety of tiny articles or piece Example Sentences After the accident, there were ... Read on