apple of discord
apple of discord
Meaning | Synonyms
- something that causes trouble or unhappiness
- anything that causes discord or jealousy
- an object or topic that sows anger, dissent
- a cause of strife, argument or rivalry
- The right to host the next Olympic games has become an apple of discord between the two countries.
- The ancestral property became an apple of discord among the three brothers.
- The “best employee” award has been an apple of discord among the co-workers for quite some time.
- The water sharing pact has been the apple of discord between the two states.
- Why aren’t the two of them talking to each other? What is apple of discord there?
- The two best friends were attracted to the same person, and that became an apple of discord between them.
- That piece of jewelry was a family heirloom, and it was an apple of discord among the sisters. They were always fighting over who gets to wear it.
- Sharing credit for their breakthrough work became an apple of discord between the two research students.
The phrase originated from Greek mythology. The “apple of discord” was a golden apple inscribed “for the fairest” thrown by Eris, goddess of discord, into a banquet she was not invited to. The apple was claimed by Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite, to whom Paris awarded it, setting off a chain of events that led to the Trojan war.
Consequently, “apple of discord” is used to imply the foundation, root, or core, of a quarrel, or a small issue that could lead to a bigger argument.
The earliest publication of the idiom was first recorded around 1640-50s.
Apple, Controversy, Food, Fruits, Jealousy
By the time of my graduation at the campus, my young sisters in high schools were also demanding for school fees but it unfortunate that our care taker was sick. The total amount of money she used to split to all of us equalised to the total amount of tuition that would enable me to graduate, so I became an apple of discord to all of them.
- Stuart Holy October 9, 2018
Apple of discord simply means something that cause of dispute.
It is amazing to read that “an apple” would have created a huge dispute in history.
Eating the forbidden fruit resulted in Adam and Eve being thrown out of Eden. A fight over an apple resulted in the fall of Troy.
According to the story, when Thetis and Peleus got married, they invited all the Greek Gods, except the god of Discord, Eris, to their marriage ceremony. Eris was very irritated that she hadn’t been invited to the marriage. So, what she did was to toss a golden apple among the guests. On the apple were written the words, “For the fairest”.
Three goddesses, Hera, Athene, and Aphrodite fought for the apple as each thought that she was the fairest of them all. Because they didn’t have a magic mirror, which could clarify and judge them who among them was the fairest, the three goddesses asked Paris, the son of the king of Troy, to make a final decision about the matter for them. Then, goddesses tried to bribe Paris; Hera promised him all of Asia, and Athene promised him glory in war.
Aphrodite offered him the most beautiful woman in the world if he were to give her the apple; a lady whose appearance was capable of launching a thousand ships. Young Paris gave the apple to Aphrodite, and he got the gorgeous Helen in return. Hera and Athene, as expected, were extremely angry with Paris and they plotted his ruin.
It was the two goddesses that made sure that Troy was destroyed. Thousands of humans were died just because of an apple.
- Gloria September 28, 2018
When I was young and studying in college, I received many proposal from guys and after few days I had become an apple of discord for all of them.
- Anonymous September 28, 2018
Apple of discord conflict between two thing or nation that causes misunderstanding or more on a fight.
- Reymond September 18, 2018
It is conflict between two person
- Neha November 30, 2017
The apple of discord between Jerry and Gerald was who would get the last malasada in the box.
- The Pineapple of Discord November 27, 2017
I personally think that you focus too much on the Apple itself! The Goddess Eris is only pleased when causing CHAOS, and getting to watch it unfold for her amusement. The apple isn’t the “CAUSE”, it’s just an inadamant unknowing apple. The jealousy, between the Goddesses, and the issuing argument, had to piss off the losers! Just the Discord a twisted, bored, (here it comes), uninvited Goddess of Chaos needs to satisfy her jealousy, and need!
- Daniel Hoffman June 17, 2017
Apple of discord means (cause of trouble).
- Rabia khan August 25, 2016
Apple of discord means any thing causing conflict between two parties..
- Kausar Junaid August 17, 2016
Apple of discord means the root cause (basic reason) of dispute or quarrel.
- Pramod February 1, 2016
Apple of discord means the cause of dispute,misunderstanding or fight.
- Cristine Rufin November 1, 2015
Apple of discord means cause of quarrel
- Virendra Singh October 20, 2015
Apple of discord means cause of dispute
- Sameeksha Shrivastaava April 28, 2015
Can you please give me another example in other sentence? I want to understand more.
- Abhishek January 10, 2015
It means base of quarrel means reason of quarrel
- Raab November 14, 2014
Add your thoughts
Idiom of the Day
The Idioms Dictionary explains common English idioms that are popular worldwide, especially in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Singapore, and New Zealand.
The apple of discord between the two people was issue of the knife stuck in the one persons back.
- Chu September 16, 2016