- a thrilling book
- to have an interesting plot
- refers to something that one cannot ignore
- to create an instant interest
- The book is a page-turner and now I cannot take a break until I complete reading it.
- You know I cannot resist a page-turner. Why did you have to recommend such a good book when you know I have to go away on a holiday soon?
- She has written a book recently and it is a complete page-turner.
- I am trying to write a page-turner but it is not so good so far.
- You cannot just create a page-turner of a book within a few weeks. It takes a lot of time and effort.
- The most I got from all the effort was that my book was considered a page-turner by the people that read it.
The phrase originated within the world of books and reading and is still used in the same context. A page-turner is an interesting book with plots that keep the reader motivated. One with many such plots of a sexual nature are called a “bodice ripper”. A bodice ripper has a scene with sexual connotation at a regular intervals so that it becomes a page-turner.
The expression can be traced since 1970-75.
Idiom of the Day
across the board
across the board Meaning applying to everyone affecting all in an organization, system or society involving everyone or everything pertaining to all parts of something embracing all categories ... Read on