- a thrilling book
- to have an interesting plot
- refers to something that one cannot ignore
- to create an instant interest
- The book is a page-turner and now I cannot take a break until I complete reading it.
- You know I cannot resist a page-turner. Why did you have to recommend such a good book when you know I have to go away on a holiday soon?
- She has written a book recently and it is a complete page-turner.
- I am trying to write a page-turner but it is not so good so far.
- You cannot just create a page-turner of a book within a few weeks. It takes a lot of time and effort.
- The most I got from all the effort was that my book was considered a page-turner by the people that read it.
The phrase originated within the world of books and reading and is still used in the same context. A page-turner is an interesting book with plots that keep the reader motivated. One with many such plots of a sexual nature are called a “bodice ripper”. A bodice ripper has a scene with sexual connotation at a regular intervals so that it becomes a page-turner.
The expression can be traced since 1970-75.
Idiom of the Day
at sixes and sevens
at sixes and sevens Meaning used to express a situation of uncertainty or confusion to be in complete disarray a state of confusion or bewilderment referring to disagreement ... Read on