- to be very popular
- to be known across a region, in every household
- to be famous
- The character is a household name because people are able to identify with the struggles that he faces.
- I am going to launch a product that will become a household name in the next 2 years.
- Their Italian cuisine is a household name in that town.
- The judge made himself a household name with such a great decision.
- You are a Hollywood actor. Of course you are a household name in my country!
- You have to work really hard to become a household name.
The invention of the television set made this phrase more apt to use. Something that would be on the television would soon and automatically become a household name. People often discuss popular TV shows at work and when hanging out. Television stars, shows and products aired are usually a point of discussion. The phrase was probably in use before the invention of the television set too but has taken off only afterwards.
A household name is one that is common in use in terms of a product. Product manufacturing and distribution has been around even before the TV set was introduced and hence the phrase is believed to be older too.
Idiom of the Day
head above water
head above water Meaning | Synonyms to succeed to survive in bad financial situations to keep itself out of trouble in any difficult situation manage to live well even in financial ... Read on