break up | split up
also split up
- end a romantic relationship with someone
- end of a marriage or relationship
- to become separated after being in a marriage or relationship
- After having been married for eight years, their decision to break up came as a huge surprise to their friends.
- Tom has finally broken up with the girl he met at the club. Theirs was a relationship that was not meant to last.
- She split up with her boyfriend after he kept embarrassing her in front of her friends.
- After years of being in a miserable relationship, they finally decided to split up and go their separate ways.
- Celebrity break ups and split ups are the toast of the media. In their quest for the latest piece of gossip, they forget that they are dealing with human beings who are going through a difficult time.
- The news of their break up followed soon after his wife discovered his adulterous relationships.
- They had always come across as a happy and supportive couple; so when they announced that they were splitting up, it came as surprise for many.
- He broke up with his partner of three years when he found out that she was dating another man.
The origin of the phrase is not known.
Idiom of the Day
blue-collar Meaning: of or relating to industrial work, especially the semiskilled and unskilled. Example: They hope the new manufacturing unit on the outskirts of the small town will ... Read on