that’s the way the cookie crumbles
that's the way the cookie crumbles
- no matter how unfair the situation is, it must be accepted
- to accept something or a situation fully
- to be able to take the negatives of a situation just the way positives are accepted
- The manager was fired from his job after making such a huge mistake, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
- I have not looked back on the past since I moved out of my parents' house because that's the way the cookie crumbles.
- The man knows that that's the way the cookie crumbles and he will be fine.
- I learnt that that's the way the cookie crumbles when I was in school and have been able to take care of myself.
- I know it is unfair but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
The phrase has originated in the French language as "C'est la vie" or such is life. It is said to be from the 18th century but has been publicized tremendously in the movie "Bruce Almighty" starring Jim Carey and Jennifer Aniston. Cookie was introduced in the phrase from the popular snack crumbling if it is not consumed in time, which somehow connects with life and being able to accept the bad end of something sweet.
Synonyms | Variants
- that's how the cookie crumbles
- that's just the way the cookie crumbles