- used to make a sardonic comment
- implies that something will most likely not happen
- used to state to someone that what they have been expecting is not possible
- I told her that we have been dating for 5 years now and she said "you wish!"
- I told Summer, "Oh, I'm definitely getting a new car this summer." She said, "you wish!"
- Alex said, "Do you want to go out with me for a movie tonight?" Rebecca meanly replied, "you wish!"
- Ronald said, "I might win a lottery worth 10k today!" Sarah replied,"you wish!"
- "You want a 10 pointer in every semester? you wish!"
- "You think she'll ever forgive you for this? you wish!"
- "You think I have plans to go to Turkey during Christmas holidays? you wish!"
- He said, "Will you help me move this piano?" His brother replied," Ha! you wish!"
- Bobby asked his elder sister, "Will you buy me my favorite candy today?" She said, "you wish!"
- He asked, "Will you go out with me for dinner tonight?" She said ,"you wish!"
- Dean said, "I might just get a new car today cause it is my birthday". Suzanne said, "you wish!"
- Tina said, "I think Jason will ask me out for prom this year! I feel positive!" Katy snidely commented, "Yeah! you wish! why don't you wait and see for yourself."
The idiomatic expression 'you wish' does not have a clear origin.
Idiom of the Day
never say die
never say die Meaning: stay optimistic, positive attitude. Example: There are still a dozen of of job vacancies that she hasn't tried. Never say die.