on one’s uppers
on one's uppers
- extremely short of money
- All the artists in their initial phase of career were on their uppers. They have struggled enough to reach this level of success.
- The owner of Blue Dart was once on his uppers when he had a few thousands in his bank. It is when he took risk & by favour of his luck, he has a successful business now.
- It is good that you want to follow your passion & be a dancer but you must remember that during one phase you'll be on your uppers. So decide & plan accordingly.
- The actor when first came to Mumbai was on his uppers & slept near the beach. It is then he dreamt of having a mansion near the beach & today he owns not one but two of them.
- I am on my uppers now & I knew this would happen some day. Following your passion isn't as dreamy as it seems.
- He helped his friend who was on his uppers & had no money to record his album. His one good deed got his friend selected for vocals of an upcoming movie.
In this expression, worn-out shoes are taken as an indication of someone's poverty; the upper is the part of a shoe above the sole, which is all that is left after the sole has been worn away.