go with the flow
go with the flow
also, go with the tide
Meaning | Synonyms
- to do what other people are doing in any particular situation
- be stress-free and adopt any situation, instead of trying to change it
- to not fight against set norms, conducts, standards, and behaviours
- maintain the status quo
- giving in to peer pressure
- to not do anything to affect the outcomes of courses of events
- to agree to do something with majority since it is the best method
- to follow the circumstances
- flexible; adaptable; workable; supple
- Kevin didn’t want to be part of the protest, but all his friends wanted to stand for something, so he chose to go with the flow.
- Rebecca wanted us to go to dinner instead of the dodger’s game, I didn’t want to upset her, so I just went with the flow.
- I would like to suggest you to go with the tide until you achieve a higher position in company.
- My grandmother always advised me to go with the flow and to stay safe.
- In order to win – all the team members are required to go with the flow.
- The best method to spy on your partner is to be patience and go with the tide.
- John always upset the applecart by not going with the flow.
- We have no choice but to go with the flow and hope the best is yet to come.
- Do not get upset or overreact to get rid of a problem – just go with the flow.
- If you don’t have a choice then most simple principle of staying happier in life is to go with the flow.
This expression was first recorded to be used by the Roman Emperor, Marcus Arelius, in his writings “The Meditations”. He penned a lot about the flow of happiness and thoughts and he surmised that most things flow naturally and in his opinion it was better to go with the flow than to try and change society. Then sometime in 1960s America, this expression was ascribed to the hippies, who liked outdoor activities but also espoused a philosophy of taking life easy, not getting worked up, not struggling or fighting. These people drew an analogy from the way they kayaked and rafted on white water to the way life should be led, by going with the flow.