- to stop working hard
- to take things slow and easy
- to relax and have all worries out of one’s mind
- to participate in activities that are relaxing in nature and helps one rejuvenate
- After a hard week, I like to veg out in front of the television during the weekend.
- My grandfather had decided to work hard until he turned 50 and then veg out and enjoy life.
- She just wants to veg out after coming back from school.
- I like to veg out every now and then, it is the only way that I can maintain my cool at such a stressful job.
- It is important for a person to be attentive at meetings, vegging out is for after work hours.
In common parlance a person would be referred to in a vegetative state when he has lost his mental capacity and ability to do things by himself. The phrase is milder version of that state which people choose in order to rejuvenate. This is a fairly modern phrase and originates in the late 90’s. The literary origin is not available but this phrase has been used by Julia Robert’s character in the film ‘Pretty Woman’.