when pigs fly
when pigs fly
- pigs might fly
- flying pig
Meaning | Synonyms
- something that will never happen
- highly unlikely to happen
- when hell freezes over
- Her crazy mother said that being so lazy, Megan is going to be rich one day for sure and without any hard working job. Come on, when pigs fly!
- I asked my boss if I could go on a two month vacation, he said yes, when pigs fly!
- I think he’ll pay you back your money – when pigs fly.
- “I think I’ll start working on my project from tomorrow.” “Yes, and pigs might fly.”
- “Do you think our team will win the competition?” “Yes, flying pig.”
- John asked Sarah whether she would go to the movies with him, Sarah replied that would happen when pigs fly.
- He plans to clean his house every week, but he will probably do it only when pigs fly.
- “Someday, I’ll become a successful actor.” “And pigs might fly.”
- I’ll join your physics classes when pigs fly.
The phrase “pigs might fly” or “pigs may fly” has been used in various forms since the 1600s, when it was said that “pigs fly with their tails forward”, used as a sarcastic remark something overly optimistic. The form “when pigs fly” is more common in America.
Idiom of the Day
The Idioms Dictionary explains common English idioms that are popular worldwide, especially in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Singapore, and New Zealand.
Pigs like mud too much. They’ll be the last species to ever fly.
- Jay Gilpatrick November 2, 2022
Strap a jet pack to that bad boy and he can fly. All about perspective.
- Yugo1133! August 20, 2022
I personally think it could happen. Then again I’m not the brightest 😐
- Non Ya February 1, 2022
Whenever I ask my dad to go on a family vacation he says yes-when pigs fly
- Kiran Gupta January 10, 2019
I think that pigs might fly one day
- Liar743 December 17, 2018
Hmmm… Do you think that pigs might fly one day?
- Anonymous August 20, 2018
Is it really possible or not?
- Priya May 23, 2018
It is a real expression that people do use, certainly in England.
- OV February 6, 2018
So funny idiom, I’m not going to believe that.
- Kida Cool July 24, 2017