far cry from
far cry from
Meaning | Synonyms
- something that is very different from something else
- different from what is expected
- a long distance away, physically or metaphorically
- The apartment they live in now is a far cry from the huge mansion they once used to have.
- He is a great player, but it is time for him to retire. His recent performances are a far cry from what they used to be during his peak years.
- The reception of our boss' daughter's wedding was very simple and muted, a far cry from the lavish and boisterous one we were expecting.
- Due to the roadblock, we were forced to sleep in tents crammed with as many people as possible, a far cry from the comfortable rooms that we had booked.
- What the government had achieved during their rule was a far cry from what they had promised during the elections.
- The heat and dust of this city is a far cry from the clean and cool climes of the place where we used to live.
- That man is one of the rare government officials who is honest and hardworking, a far cry from most of his colleagues.
This phrase has been in use since the early 1800s.
Idiom of the Day
make ends meet
make ends meet also, make both ends meet Meaning | Synonyms make sufficient money to survive on to have adequate money to manage expenses to get by money-wise cope manage break even eke out ... Read on