viper in bosom
viper in bosom
- a person who deceives you after receiving help from you
- an unappreciative friend
- I got my friend a good position in my company and all he did is convinced my manger to get him the designation I had in the project. He was no more than a viper in my bosom.
- He provided Anaya shelter in his house when she was rendered homeless & she kept stealing money from his cupboard until he knew that she was a viper in his bosom.
- She was confident of their relation being truthful and transparent to only know that she has nursed a viper in her bosom all these years: Her husband eloped with a younger woman of the age of his daughter.
- Only after the police arrested him for sheltering a friend involved in terrorist activities did he know that all these years he had been nursing a viper in his bosom.
The phrase has originated from one of the tales of Aesop, in which a farmer who gives shelter to a viper dying from cold is eventually bitten by the viper after its recovery. The similar thought is also found in Latin ( insinu viperam habere) & the expression is found in various forms in English from late 16th century after it was referred by Shakespeare and Chaucher.
Idiom of the Day
can’t stand the sight of
can’t stand the sight of Meaning to hate someone very much to strongly dislike someone cannot tolerate someone be unable to put up with someone Example Sentences After ... Read on