crack of dawn
crack of dawn
Meaning | Synonyms
- very early in the morning
- the time right before sunrise
- first light
- daybreak; break of day
- early morning
- sunrise; sunup
- The tsunami hit the shores of Japan at the crack of dawn, which shattered the entire shore to one miles deep.
- We must have to wake up before the crack of dawn in order to complete our journey at time.
- We are leaving this place at the crack of dawn tomorrow.
- You should go to bed now – if you really wish to wake up at the crack of dawn.
- Wake up! Its crack of dawn. And get ready for school.
- Jenny is always up at the crack of dawn while Jack is a pure night owl.
- We were always up at the crack of dawn to catch more fishes.
- We will meet when it’s crack of dawn.
- She got up at the crack of dawn the very next morning and started working on her project.
There is no definitive origin for this phrase. To decipher it you can look at the origin of the word “crack.” In this context in means to begin. Thus, the crack of dawn will be at the beginning of the dawn.
You can also look at the symbolism of the phrase. The crack of dawn would be the single second in which the sun appears above the horizon. The word “crack” can also mean a split or an opening. As the sun appears above the horizon it appears to “crack” the darkness. Initially you will only be able to see a thin line of sunlight that progressively becomes wider.
In the 1300s the word “crack” meant to burst or to split open. If you have ever looked at the sun rising, you will have noticed that it seems like something is slowly splitting open. The sun could also be said to “burst” over the horizon. One minute is it not there and the next it has appeared.
There are many theories of the etymology of the phase, depending on how you interpret the word “crack.”
The phrase originated in the late 1800s and was originally “The crack of day.”
Idiom of the Day
blue-collar Meaning: of or relating to industrial work, especially the semiskilled and unskilled. Example: They hope the new manufacturing unit on the outskirts of the small town will ... Read on