Meaning | Synonyms
- something which was not planned to happen
- incidents that occur accidentally
- a coincidence
- anything which was not meant to happen
- events that occur in the absence of an intention
- occurrence without a cause
- He told himself that it was by chance so as to bring peace to his mind.
- Our life gets better and better not by chance, but by working hard.
- Silla and Racheal met by chance in a shopping mall.
- She got into theater by chance.
- Our meeting in hotel was by chance I swear.
- I heard their secrets by chance.
- I got this work by chance. I never intended to work for them.
- After several years of hiding from each other, they met in Paris by chance.
The accurate history behind the phrase by chance is difficult to be found. It can be surmised with ease that the phrase was originated due to opportunity and randomness.
This phrase was used differently in 1778 as “probability, likelihood of a certain outcome” and in 1796 it was used as “balanced probability of gain or loss”.
It is also believed that the phrase came in late 14th century.
Share your thoughts1 Thought
By pronunciation, it seems to have a French origin.
- Anonymous April 3, 2021