- to describe (something) in exceptional detail
- to provide a sequence of steps that occurred
- to contain every detail and action
- to be precise and detailed
- a detailed description (of an occasion) given as the event takes place.
- The toddler gave a blow-by-blow account of the activity to his mother. It was very endearing to listen to it.
- I have a habit of providing a blow-by-blow account of the movies that I watch alone to my husband. So much so that he says he does not have to watch those movies after my detailed narrative.
- The witness gave a blow-by-blow account of the happening.
- My boss asked me to make the document as a blow-by-blow account of how the process works.
- I am providing a blow-by-blow account of the wedding to grandma who could not make it today.
- My wife gave me a blow-by-blow account of the entire incident.
This phrase originates from commentary of boxing matches where a "blow" is used in the literal sense. Radio commentaries especially have to be in a great detail which gave the people listening to it a sense of vision of the match without actually being there. This got popular with all sports eventually and the phrase has stuck within the vocabulary meaning something that is described in minute detail.
Idiom of the Day
take into account
take into account Meaning bear in mind consider allow for remember to include something in one's calculations to consider something while a situation Example Sentences I hope my ... Read on