a blessing in disguise
a blessing in disguise
- the misfortune which turns out to have advantages
- good outcome from an evil situation
- an unfortunate event that later leads to an advantageous situation
- apparent trouble that eventually results in a positive outcome
- something terrible at first, but later results in something good
- a misfortune that unexpectedly turns into good fortune
- Losing that job turned out to be a blessing in disguise for him as it forced him to plunge into business.
- The lockdown in 2020 proved to be a blessing in disguise. It gave me lots of time to spend with my family.
- When Pete fractured his knee, it was a blessing in disguise, for he got some much-needed rest and a break from his hectic work life and refocused on some essential things in his life.
- Failing in his exams was a blessing in disguise, for he realized that he was not enjoying his course and decided to try out something else.
- Missing the train was a blessing in disguise, for we would have been on it when it met with an accident, killing many of its passengers.
- When her boyfriend dumped her, it was a blessing in disguise for Susan, for otherwise, she would never have met the man who is now her husband.
- Alice’s car breaking down was a blessing in disguise for her; if it hadn’t, she could have been in the middle of that vast multi-car pileup that happened on her way to work.
The idiom was originally found in James Hervey’s hymn “Since All the Downward Tracts of Time” in 1746, first printed in “Reflections on a Flower-garden. In a Letter to a Lady,” a volume in his best-known work, Meditations, and Contemplations (1746–1747), but written earlier.
“Since all the downward tracts of time
God’s watchful eye surveys,
O who so wise to choose our lot
Or to appoint our ways?
Good when He gives, supremely good,
Nor less when He denies;
Ev’n crosses from His sovereign hand
Are blessings in disguise.
Why should we doubt a Father’s love,
So constant and so kind?
To His unerring, gracious will
Be every wish resigned.”
The University of Leeds Special Collections holds the draft manuscript of “Reflections on a Flower-garden,” and other James Hervey works.
blaze a trail ❯❮ a blind alley
Idiom of the Day
- United States
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
Looking at this sentences were a blessing in disguise or else I couldn’t pass my Language test!
- Rose September 28, 2020
Despite all the trying times that I faced it turned out finaly to be blessing in disguise because I came throught even more stronger
- Jamel April 27, 2020
The COVID19 pandemic effects was a blessing in disguise as it helped some people stay home and refocus on some significant things of interests in their lives.
- Oum Younes April 14, 2020
Thanks so much for explanation and breakdown! It helped me tremendously in the essay I’m writing now on this topic.
- Anonymous December 8, 2019
Thanks so much for this explanation, it so easy to understand and gave me expertly what I’m looking for.
Oni again: Thanks.
- Okunola Olatunde April 18, 2019
Dies half mir, einen Bericht über mein großartiges Leben zu erstellen. Vielen Dank
- Hitler November 8, 2018
Thank u for this, this helped me to complete my story
- Abhinav October 10, 2018
The examples are nice and easy, and it gave me the idea framing examples for idioms. It help me a lot in holiday homework.
- Aayush Singh July 6, 2018
The examples are very easy to comprehend. Keep it up
- Solomon Lar K June 5, 2018
Amazing site, helped me in exams.
- Devansh May 4, 2018
Love the origin.
- Nunu April 25, 2018
Can you please make a sentence on this phrase using mobile?
- Neha March 2, 2018
Thank you for all the meaning & examples sentences, it’s truly an amazing site.
- Amylee February 23, 2018
This is a wonderful site. Thanks for helping me.
- Vaibhav Bansal January 9, 2018
Thank you for this amazing site 🙂
- Malak Aziz December 24, 2017
Good sentences and easy meanings
- Rishika October 29, 2017