on the horizon
on the horizon
Meaning | Synonyms
- an event that is most likely going to happen soon
- occurring in the near future
- within view
- in the near future
- on the way
- about to happen
- just around the corner
- in the air
- in prospect
- I have seen the way your boss praises your work. I am sure that a promotion is on the horizon.
- We have some exciting new products on the horizon.
- Are there any new romantic dates on the horizon for you and Peter?
- Even though they are denying any change of leadership, I think that there are much needed changes on the horizon.
- You need to stop stalling. The deadline is on the horizon and we still have more than half of the proposal to complete.
- An important announcement is on the horizon about education in the United States by the American President.
- I am pretty sure that the brighter days are on the horizon with the constant growth in our business.
Even though you are not able to see the sun every morning, you know when it is on the horizon. Due to the curvature of the earth we often become aware of things before they become apparent. If you are staring at the point where the earth, seems to meet the sky you will often see higher parts of mountains or buildings before land is seen.
The word "horizon" dates back to the late 1300s. There are various references to Latin, Greek and Old French words.
The metaphorical horizon that is referenced in the idiom is easy to relate to the literal horizon. It is unknown where the idiomatic expression originated.