in the loop
in the loop
Meaning | Synonyms
- to be aware of the information
- to have specific knowledge that others have
- to be included in what the rest of the group know
- actively take part in something like gossip or scheme
- to be an active member of a team doing a task
- Katy was always happy that her friends kept her in the loop with the latest gossip.
- It was a good meeting and the boss had made sure we were all in the loop.
- Please can you call me later to keep me in the loop with dinner plans for the weekend?
- I made an extra effort to watch the news today, so I was in the loop with what was going on in the world.
- We have to keep Matthew in the loop before we reach the destination.
- During the Covid-19 pandemic, the company was spending a lot of money to keep employees in the loop.
- Guys, please keep me in the loop when planning the trip.
The phrase in the loop means that a certain group of people deal with important decisions or have specific knowledge of something. If you are in the loop, then you are one of this group and are party to the particular knowledge that the other group members have. A loop being something that goes around in a full circle.
It comes from military terminology, with officers in command needing to pass on orders to the soldiers. Keeping lines of communication open and regularly updated in a feedback loop, so all personnel are informed.
Idiom of the Day
Meaning: if you marry someone without knowing the person well, you will later regret your decision to marry
Example: Sally and Bob had hardly known each other for a few months before they decided to get married, and now they are having big problems. Marry in haste, repent at leisure! Read on