third wheel or fifth wheel
fifth wheel or third wheel
a person who is in a situation where they are not needed; an extra and unnecessary person or thing; also know as “fifth wheel”
- I was the only person at the dinner party without a date. I felt like a third wheel.
- I felt like a fifth wheel when i couldn’t speak English well with my English teacher.
- I’m going, I don’t want to be a fifth wheel.
- I quit my bank job and am preparing for civil service. Now I feel like I am a third wheel.
- The way I live my life, I always feel like a fifth wheel.
This phrase originated from extra wheel that was on four wheel coaches, carriages and wagons (American).
Idiom of the Day
at sixes and sevens
at sixes and sevens Meaning used to express a situation of uncertainty or confusion to be in complete disarray a state of confusion or bewilderment referring to disagreement ... Read on