third wheel or fifth wheel
fifth wheel or third wheel
a person who is in a situation where they are not needed; an extra and unnecessary person or thing; also know as “fifth wheel”
- I was the only person at the dinner party without a date. I felt like a third wheel.
- I felt like a fifth wheel when i couldn’t speak English well with my English teacher.
- I’m going, I don’t want to be a fifth wheel.
- I quit my bank job and am preparing for civil service. Now I feel like I am a third wheel.
- The way I live my life, I always feel like a fifth wheel.
This phrase originated from extra wheel that was on four wheel coaches, carriages and wagons (American).
Idiom of the Day
build bridges Meaning: improve relationships between people who are very different or do not like each other. Example: A non-governmental organization is engaged in building bridges between different ... Read on