- something that will undoubtedly happen.
- something you are sure will come to fruition.
- something successful is likely to happen.
- a good choice.
- fair assumption.
- reasonable guess.
- opinion or view that is likely to prove correct.
Examples in a Sentence
- I knew her passing the exams was a safe bet because she has been a hardworking student.
- The team considered Tylor as a safe bet since he has been playing for an international team.
- Since I’m always attentive, my parents consider sending me to the grocery store a safe bet.
- I knew it was a safe bet for the rain when I saw heavy clouds.
- It’s a safe bet that he acted as an example to the rest of the class after the punishment since nobody dared to mock me again.
- Everyone said it was a safe bet that the concert could be enjoyable.
- If you are looking for the best destination for your vacation, South Carolina is a safe bet.
- Safe bet he came early for the occasion.
- The party leader believed that the 50-year-old sitting legislator was still a safe bet for reelection.
The idiom is believed to have originated from a horse race and referred to a horse that had a solid chance of winning. The idiom can be traced back to the 1600s in print.