call it a day
call it a day
- stop doing something, especially working
- to give up work and go back to home
- finishing the work of a day
- to discontinue some regular activity
- After second heart attack, she decided it would be best to follow her doctor’s advice and call it a day.
- I am not done yet, I can’t call it a day I need to work more for couple of hours.
- I think we have done enough work today, I am feeling tired now, let’s call it a day.
- After providing services for more than 30 years to NASA, Bill Scot decided to call it a day.
- I am fed up of going work at early morning I am just calling it a day and will look for another easy job.
- He has been a paperboy since last 6 years but now calling it a day because he just got a better job in a multinational company.
- These days Ronnie is watching television everyday more than three hours a day, his Dad going to call it a day immediately after arriving from his business trip to abroad.
- We call it a day right after the 9 hours of hard working everyday, neither more nor less.
- When you are going to call it a day? I wonder why don’t you just return back to your hometown when things are not in your favour there?
This phrase was born when a worker was leaving for home before doing his work accomplished and originally related to the phrase “call it half a day” initially found in 1838. It was used to say goodbye to work by employees before the working day was over.
The original appearance of the “call it a day” phrase was in 1919, and of “call it a night” in 1938 by the employee those who worked in night.