call it a day
call it a day
- stop doing something, especially working
- to give up work and go back to home
- finishing the work of a day
- to discontinue some regular activity
- After second heart attack, she decided it would be best to follow her doctor’s advice and call it a day.
- I am not done yet, I can’t call it a day I need to work more for couple of hours.
- I think we have done enough work today, I am feeling tired now, let’s call it a day.
- After providing services for more than 30 years to NASA, Bill Scot decided to call it a day.
- I am fed up of going work at early morning I am just calling it a day and will look for another easy job.
- He has been a paperboy since last 6 years but now calling it a day because he just got a better job in a multinational company.
- These days Ronnie is watching television everyday more than three hours a day, his Dad going to call it a day immediately after arriving from his business trip to abroad.
- We call it a day right after the 9 hours of hard working everyday, neither more nor less.
- When you are going to call it a day? I wonder why don’t you just return back to your hometown when things are not in your favour there?
This phrase was born when a worker was leaving for home before doing his work accomplished and originally related to the phrase “call it half a day” initially found in 1838. It was used to say goodbye to work by employees before the working day was over.
The original appearance of the “call it a day” phrase was in 1919, and of “call it a night” in 1938 by the employee those who worked in night.
dark horse ❯❮ all in a day’s work
Idiom of the Day
The Idioms Dictionary explains common English idioms that are popular worldwide, especially in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Singapore, and New Zealand.
Is the “call it a day” and “call it a night” are similar?
If so, please mention the meaning of “call it a night?
- Zainab Ayaz May 1, 2021
If someone is wrong we call it day.
- Adesh S April 28, 2018
After 30 years of active service my father called it a day last month.
- Khuram February 10, 2018