- invite someone to go out, especially on a date
- invite someone to a social engagement
- invite someone to go out socially, especially in order to start a romantic relationship
- ask someone to go on a date
- When he finally asked her out, she readily accepted, and very soon they were dating on a regular basis.
- Tom had asked Sue out for dinner, but she declined, saying she had other plans.
- Realizing that he was too shy to ask her out, she took it upon herself and asked him out for a movie and dinner afterwards.
- It was evident that she had feelings for him, and when asked her out, she could not say no, even though she had planned to be with her friends.
- She had asked Jim out for a date and they really enjoyed each other's company.
- He said that he had asked her out several times, but she was simply not interested and refused every time.
- My friend asked us out for dinner to celebrate the success of his new venture.
- She said she would ask him out for lunch and discuss the plans with him then.
This phrase originated around the late 1800s.
Idiom of the Day