the best of both worlds
the best of both worlds
also, the best of all possible worlds
Meaning | Synonyms
- a win-win situation
- a situation in which one can get the advantages of two different or contrasting things at the same time
- a situation where one can enjoy the benefit of two different opportunities
- the best features of two different things
- to enjoy somethings that are opposite in nature by concealing involvement in one or both
- to be a part of things that are very different to each other through their inherent nature
- “If you decide to live here you get the greenery of the countryside and the amenities of urban life. Its the best of both worlds, really.”
- “You can get this item for cheap, but you’ll have to compromise on quality. You cannot have the best of both worlds.”
- My cousin is a research fellow at the university, so gets the freedom of a student and the privileges of a professor. He has the best of both worlds.
- Working from home is a huge plus; you have the luxury of staying at home and you get the benefits of having a job. Its the best of both worlds.
- He wanted to become an entrepreneur but could not leave the comforts of his job. He wanted the best of both worlds.
- I got a deal that let me stay in five star luxury at two star prices; it was the best of all possible worlds.
- The guy had the best of both worlds until his wife found out about how he was cheating on her.
- I have never had the best of all possible worlds since my mom and dad separated.
- She likes to have the best of all possible worlds whether it is to go for parties or have a religious ceremony conducted in her home.
- Whether on vacation or at home, my dad always had the best of all possible worlds.
- I am so jealous that she gets the best of all possible worlds. She keeps eating and never gets fat!
Although, the exact origin of the expression is unclear, but it has religious undertones which refers to two worlds, that is life and after life. These are contrasting ideas and to have the best in both worlds meant that the person in question is truly successful. The biblical reference provides a man who does good deeds for others while alive gets to enjoy the fruits in heaven, thus getting the best of both worlds.
This phrase became popular in the mid and late 1900s.
- the best of all possible worlds