Idioms beginning with T

Page 10 of 18

take heart

Meaning: To feel encouraged or hopeful after worry or disappointment.

Example: After hearing the good news, Sarah finally take heart and stopped worrying about the results. Read more ➺


tick off

Meaning: To make someone annoyed or angry.

Example: The repeated delays in the project really tick off the clients and make them lose confidence. Read more ➺


turn out

Meaning: to arrive at an event

Example: They had fewer people turn out for their party than they anticipated. Read more ➺


turn over a new leaf

Meaning: to alter your behaviour in a positive way

Example: He has not been in trouble this year. He has really turned over a new leaf. Read more ➺


take for a ride

Meaning: to trick somebody

Example: I paid for the package but it was never delivered. After two weeks I realized that I had been taken for a ride. Read more ➺


trouble shared is trouble halved

Meaning: the intensity of the issue can be lowered down by discussion

Example: Don't hesitate to share your problems with me. After all, a problem shared is a problem halved. Read more ➺


troubled waters

Meaning: a difficult phase of life

Example: The situation was getting worse, but like all the other members of the company, he was fascinated by troubled waters. Read more ➺


the lion’s den

Meaning: a place which is uncomfortable

Example: Two of the new students were thrown into the lion's den as their ragging was taking place. Read more ➺


take for granted

Meaning: to underestimate the value of something or someone

Example: I took the weather for granted when I lived in America. Now I am struggling to get used to the cold. Read more ➺


toot one’s own horn

Meaning: speak boastfully about oneself

Example: My father told me never to toot my own horn. Read more ➺


Share
Share