Idioms beginning with T

Page 11 of 18

too close to call

Meaning: a margin that is too close to determine a winner

Example: There are only a few minutes left in the match and it is too close to call. Read more ➺


the devil is beating his wife

Meaning: raining whereas the sun is shining.

Example: The sunshower is said to occur when the devil is beating his wife in various German-speaking countries. Read more ➺


the devil is in the detail

Meaning: It means that when you do not concentrate on the details of something you may run into unexpected problems

Example: "Have you seen my beautiful new bag? I paid a fortune for it." "Really? It is a fake. The stitching of the original bags is blue, not green." "How disappointing. I guess the devil is in the details." Read more ➺


take over

Meaning: to take control of something - often by force

Example: I can't believe that they were able to launch a takeover of our company. Read more ➺


take care

Meaning: be careful

Example: Thanks for the visit, Peter, take care. Read more ➺


take on

Meaning: someone's take on something is their opinion on a matter

Example: I don't agree with your take on the matter, but I will respect your choice. Read more ➺


take it on the chin

Meaning: this is a boxing metaphor meaning don't shy away from difficulty

Example: You're going to have to take it on the chin when your father gets home and sees what you've done. Read more ➺


the best is yet to come

Meaning: whatever is happening now will be surpassed by something better in the future

Example: I am glad that you are enjoying your holiday,the best is yet to come. Read more ➺


take turns

Meaning: to alternate doing something

Example: I understand that everybody wants to try driving, but you will have to take turns. Read more ➺


time after time

Meaning: to repeat something

Example: The narrator repeated her name time after time in the story but I could not understand her connection with the plot until the very end of the story. Read more ➺


Share
Share