Idioms beginning with T
Page 9 of 18
time puts everything in its place
Meaning: time is persistent; as it passes eventually, everything goes back to its original state or place
Example: After my breakup with Judy, I couldn't understand why things had to end so tragically, but I now understand time puts everything in its place in my new relationship. Read more ➺
Meaning: apply more effort to achieve a goal
Example: The team got through to the quarter-finals. Now they need to take it up a notch to get to the semis. Read more ➺
Meaning: to perfection
Example: The masked ball was excellent. You should have seen the costumes. Everyone was dressed to the nines. Read more ➺
Meaning: temporary help (often financial)
Example: When I was at university, my mother always sent me food parcels to tide me over until my next grant cheque came. Read more ➺
Meaning: refuse entry to somewhere
Example: His job application was turned aside when they saw his criminal record. Read more ➺
Meaning: practically identical in appearance
Example: Those boys could be twins, they are like two peas in a pod. Read more ➺
Meaning: To become hostile or opposed to someone, often after a period of support or friendship.
Example: The citizens started to turn against the government after a series of broken promises. Read more ➺
Meaning: with the top at the bottom
Example: Everything has been topsy-turvy since we moved in. I can't find anything until I unpack properly. Read more ➺
Meaning: a slim or frugal amount
Example: When we were students, we didn't have much money and we got by on the smell of an oily rag most days. Read more ➺
Meaning: To challenge someone openly and boldly.
Example: During the heated meeting, the union leader threw down the gauntlet and demanded immediate reforms. Read more ➺
