- showing lot of love or affection
- expressing affection in a sentimental way
- excessive display of affection; mushy
- being amorously affectionate
- public display of affection
- We had gone for lunch with our boss and his wife, but it was pretty awkward with a couple getting lovey-dovey a couple of tables away from us.
- The couple at the front row kept getting lovey-dovey with each other while the rest of us tried to ignore them and watch the movie.
- Its awkward going out with Sue and Rob. They keep getting all lovey-dovey ignoring everything else, and you end up feeling embarrassed.
- Around sunset the river front is full of love struck couples getting all lovey-dovey with each other.
- I always used to think that Dan was a very reserved person, but after watching him get lovey-dovey with his girlfriend at the club, I think there's another side to him.
- They are always holding hands and kissing in public. They are a lovey-dovey couple.
The phrase originated sometime during the mid 1700s to early 1800s. The dove bird is sometimes used as a symbol of love, and also rhymes with love, so it is just a combination of these two words. The "y" is added at the end to make it sound cuter.