wear heart on sleeve
wear your heart on your sleeve
Meaning | Synonyms
- display your emotions openly
- make your feelings apparent and obvious
- openly reveal your feelings and emotions
- unable to hide your emotions and feelings
- be emotionally transparent
- be open or forthright about your emotions.
- It was evident that he was in love with her. He wore his heart on his sleeve and you could see how he felt about her.
- She is a very sensitive person and wears her heart on her sleeve, so it very easy to hurt her feelings.
- Sam always wears his heart on his sleeve, so everyone knew how he was feeling.
- He wore his heart on his sleeve and it was obvious that he was shattered by his recent breakup with his girlfriend.
- If you wear your heart on your sleeve, you will be very vulnerable and people are going to take advantage of you.
- She used to be a very passionate woman who wore her heart on her sleeve, but repeated rejections and mistreatment at the hands of the ones she trusted made her go into a shell and bottle her emotions up.
This phrase was first recorded in Shakespeare’s play “Othello” in 1604, where the treacherous Iago says this to feign openness and vulnerability.