also, Paschal eggs
Meaning | Synonyms
- a decorated or dyed egg usually given to children at Easter
- a feature that is hidden in video games, websites, software or social media and only unveiled after playing or viewing for a long time
- a hidden message or surprise gift
- While scrolling down the menu of Grand Theft Auto V, I happened upon an Easter egg.
- My parents are amazing; they left me an Easter egg.
- My boss’s emails are always filled a thousand and one Easter eggs.
- Rebecca has planned to reveal a really surprising Halloween Easter egg for their kids.
Easter is a religious holiday, but some of its customs, such as Easter eggs, are likely linked to pagan traditions. The egg, an ancient symbol of new life, has been associated with pagan festivals celebrating spring. From a Christian perspective, Easter eggs are said to represent Jesus’ emergence from the tomb and resurrection. Decorating eggs for Easter is a tradition that dates back to at least the 13th century, according to some sources. One explanation for this custom is that eggs were formerly a forbidden food during the Lenten season, so people would paint and decorate them to mark the end of the period of penance and fasting, then eat them on Easter as a celebration.
Eggs have been associated with death, rebirth, and kingship especially in pre-historic Egypt, Crete, and Mesopotamia. These references had a huge influence on Christianity and Islam. The Christians used eggs painted red to depict the blood Jesus Christ shed on the Cross when he was crucified. Eventually, they embraced the custom as a Roman ritual where they bless the egg and ask that it be nourishing to those who accept the resurrection of Christ who lives and reigns forever. Over the years, it then evolved to these decorated eggs being hidden on Easter morning for children to find. It’s associated use for video games and DVD occurred in 1975 when Easter eggs were hidden in several scenes of the movie “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”
Idiom of the Day
Meaning: if you marry someone without knowing the person well, you will later regret your decision to marry
Example: Sally and Bob had hardly known each other for a few months before they decided to get married, and now they are having big problems. Marry in haste, repent at leisure! Read on