also, Paschal eggs
Meaning | Synonyms
- a decorated or dyed egg usually given to children at Easter
- a feature that is hidden in video games, websites, software or social media and only unveiled after playing or viewing for a long time
- a hidden message or surprise gift
- While scrolling down the menu of Grand Theft Auto V, I happened upon an Easter egg.
- My parents are amazing; they left me an Easter egg.
- My boss’s emails are always filled a thousand and one Easter eggs.
- Rebecca has planned to reveal a really surprising Halloween Easter egg for their kids.
Eggs have been associated with death, rebirth, and kingship especially in pre-historic Egypt, Crete, and Mesopotamia. These references had a huge influence on Christianity and Islam. The Christians used eggs painted red to depict the blood Jesus Christ shed on the Cross when he was crucified. Eventually, they embraced the custom as a Roman ritual where they bless the egg and ask that it be nourishing to those who accept the resurrection of Christ who lives and reigns forever. Over the years, it then evolved to these decorated eggs being hidden on Easter morning for children to find. It’s associated use for video games and DVD occurred in 1975 when Easter eggs were hidden in several scenes of the movie “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”
Idiom of the Day
blue-collar Meaning: of or relating to industrial work, especially the semiskilled and unskilled. Example: They hope the new manufacturing unit on the outskirts of the small town will ... Read on