- someone who achieves the success with his own hark work
- to come up the social, economic or financial ladder by one's self, without asking for or taking help
- The governor is a self-made man and has had properties around the city even before he joined politics.
- My son is clear about wanting to become a self-made man. He does not want any help from me.
- He accepted dowry and made some money using what his father-in-law gave him. How do you call him a self-made man?
- Do you know someone who is a self-made man? You really need an inspiration.
- Uncle Bill is a self-made man and sees every problem as his own.
- A self-made man would understand the value of his empire more than anything else. It is because he works hard to create it.
- I do not know of many self-made men They used to be plentiful two decades back.
This phrase originates within the grandeur of the Greek kings and how the recognition that came to a person from his own deeds was much better than recognition through association. This is just a speculation though since there is no literary evidence to support this theory.
Idiom of the Day
take into account
take into account Meaning bear in mind consider allow for remember to include something in one's calculations to consider something while a situation Example Sentences I hope my ... Read on