- someone who achieves the success with his own hark work
- to come up the social, economic or financial ladder by one’s self, without asking for or taking help
- The governor is a self-made man and has had properties around the city even before he joined politics.
- My son is clear about wanting to become a self-made man. He does not want any help from me.
- He accepted dowry and made some money using what his father-in-law gave him. How do you call him a self-made man?
- Do you know someone who is a self-made man? You really need an inspiration.
- Uncle Bill is a self-made man and sees every problem as his own.
- A self-made man would understand the value of his empire more than anything else. It is because he works hard to create it.
- I do not know of many self-made men They used to be plentiful two decades back.
This phrase originates within the grandeur of the Greek kings and how the recognition that came to a person from his own deeds was much better than recognition through association. This is just a speculation though since there is no literary evidence to support this theory.