Idioms beginning with T
Page 7 of 18
Meaning: the office of a powerful leader.
Example: When Jim became a clerk to a Supreme Court justice, he thought he would get his foot inside the corridors of power. Read more ➺
Meaning: Referring to something that is available or operates all the time, day and night.
Example: This store is open 24/7, so you can shop anytime. Read more ➺
the rose that grew from concrete
Meaning: a person who achieved greatness even though they came from a place not so great.
Example: Ken performed well despite his poor background, much like the rose that grew from concrete. Read more ➺
Meaning: to attract or interest someone.
Example: Does the menu have anything that tickles your fancy? Read more ➺
Meaning: The term "top dog" means a person, group, or thing in a position of power, particularly after struggling or winning a grueling competition.
Example: Given the latest shakeups, she is hoping that her experience will make her the top dog in the accounting department. Read more ➺
Meaning: change your position with respect to someone else.
Example: After flying back to town, I went to Jenna's place uninformed to surprise her & to my amaze she had already planned a party to welcome me. I should have known she is smart enough to turn the tables. Read more ➺
Meaning: to understand that something is not completely true or right
Example: I have read the article, but I take it with a grain of salt. Read more ➺
Meaning: the opposite aspect, contrasting arguments.
Example: You should consider the other side of the coin when a wife leaves her husband and not just blame her for walking out on him. Read more ➺
take a leaf out of someone’s book
Meaning: implement actionable advice
Example: I couldn't decide what to do after high school, but my dad makes great money welding, so I took a leaf out of his book and went to trade school instead of college. Read more ➺
