- look exactly like someone else
- precise resemblance
- person who strongly resembles another
- look extremely similar to someone
- My sister is the spitting image of my mother.
- You look the spitting image of your grandfather at your age.
- The twins were spitting images of each other.
- With the help of makeup and touch-up, the actor looked the spitting image of the real life character he played in the movie.
- He looked the spitting image of his father.
The phrase in this form was first seen in print in 1901. It is believed that the phrase originated from the idea of a person being so similar to another as if he was spit out of the mouth of the other. This idea was around since the 1600s, and had been used in different phrase forms since the 1800s.
Idiom of the Day
head above water
head above water Meaning | Synonyms to succeed to survive in bad financial situations to keep itself out of trouble in any difficult situation manage to live well even in financial ... Read on