- the most important factor to take into account of something
- in the final analysis, the most important fact in a situation.
- the final profit or loss that a business generated over a specific time period.
- When the profit comes down, the bottom line is that this investment isn’t worth the risk.
- The bottom line is that we need to cut costs in order to remain competitive.
- At the end of everything, the bottom line is that I just want to be happy with my decision.
- We can debate it all we want, but the bottom line is that this is what needs to be done.
- The bottom line is that time is running out, and we need to act now.
- The bottom line is that pregnant women who smoke run a higher risk of harming their health.
The term “bottom line” first appeared in the realm of business and began gaining traction during the mid-1900s. It referred to financial statements that indicated whether a company had profited or lost money once all expenses were accounted for. As its name implies, it denotes “the total amount or cost,” which later evolved into a figurative way of depicting the major point of an issue, predicament, or event.
However, it’s essential to recognize that the phrase “bottom line” is also often used in a literal way to denote financial gain or loss. In reality, this figurative use of “bottom line” has been around since 1920, when accountants and financiers first coined the term. The expression originated from companies drawing a distinct line at the base of their balance sheets showing whether they had earned a profit or loss for that year, which was referred to as “the bottom line”.
When it comes to the core of any matter, “the bottom line” is a concise expression that says it all. By succinctly summarizing the main point or conclusion of something in one phrase, you can make decisions with confidence and without needing excess details. To put it simply, this often-used term now refers to the most important detail within an issue and implies that no further information is necessary for understanding.
Share your thoughts1 Thought
I think that the bottom line has a meaning of profit, or hasn't it?
- Ilyas December 29, 2021