free spirit - noun
also, free-spirited - adjective
Meaning | Synonyms
- a person who freely lives a life of his own way
- free thinker who is not influenced by bonds or people
- used to address a person who live an independent life in positive ways without getting affected by other people or traditions
- independent person
- His wife is a free spirit, she does not believe in the work that we do.
- My sister is the kindest person that you will ever meet. She is a free spirit and enjoys traveling the world.
- We are going to the festival this weekend. It is a celebration of love, happiness and the free spirit.
- I wish that I could be a free spirit like you; I am always concerned about what other people think of me.
- In the 1960s there were more free spirits around than there are now.
- My grandfather was a free spirited farmer and he spent his whole life happily.
The phrase "free spirit" has been in use since the 1600s. The word was initially "free spirited" meaning that the spirit was liberated. It means that the person's spirit is free to express itself without conforming to the norms of society. The phrase has been used quite frequently since the 1930s. The word "spirit" has been used to describe the soul of humans since the 1300s. It is believed to be the part of humans that is the essence of the person.
In modern culture it is used to describe somebody who is "bohemian" and unconventional.