- insufficient ease, sympathy, or encouragement
- slight or no consolation
- no comfort or consolation at all
- no comfort because the situation is very problematic or unfriendly
- something that improves a condition slightly but not much
- A small increment after two years is cold comfort.
- After several days of scorching heat, light rain is cold comfort.
- The advisory engineer said only the front body of the truck is smashed and not its engine, but I think that will be cold comfort to her.
- It is cold comfort to be told that the scientist will discover a medicine to cure the deadly virus.
- I know that several others are worse off than us, but that’s no cold comfort.
The idiom “cold comfort” was originated in the 14th century.
Idiom of the Day