- to laugh uncontrollably
- to laugh until one's belly starts to shake
- a very heavy laugh
- to laugh loudly and heartily
- a joke that is very funny
- to burst out laughing
- a loud laugh which cannot be controlled
- The books by this author always give me a belly laugh.
- I really get belly laugh when I am talking with him. He is such a funny guy.
- She barely contained her belly laugh when the group of students fell down from the stairs. I suspect it was her mischief to begin with.
- Her belly laugh jokes are awesome and I attend every stand-up comedy event she holds in town.
- The prank was just meant as belly laugh and did not at all intend to hurt any feelings. The group has apologized for the same too.
- The cure to your sadness and depression is a belly laugh. You need no medicines.
- She believes that a belly laugh a day will keep her younger. I don’t know about you but I would like to follow such a positive person.
- Her random tweets often give me a belly laugh.
- It's not often you read the books that give you a real belly laugh.
The origin is speculated to be from the 1920's from the American English. The phrase literally refers to a moving belly when a person laughs loudly.
Idiom of the Day
body and soul
body and soul Meaning: with all one's effort and ability. Example: He dedicated himself to science studies and astronomy, body and soul.