be an item
- be involved in a romantic relationship
- a couple having a romantic relationship
- two people who are lovers
- John and Sally are frequently seen together nowadays. Are they an item?
- Andy and Becky met at a club and almost immediately became an item. Last week they decided to get married. Everything happened in a rush for them.
- When Dave and Lisa declared that they were an item, everyone was surprised because they did not seem to have anything in common with each other.
- I heard that Emma and Harry have finally become an item, is it true? They would really be very good together.
- They have been an item for quite some time now. Do they have any plans to get married soon?
- When he realised that Lucy and Alex were an item, it broke his heart. He had been attracted to Lucy very much, but had been too shy to approach her.
- Isn’t it obvious that Kate and Mark are an item? They are always together and never seen without one another.
- Chris and Clara have been an item for the past one year, and last month, they decided to move in together.
- become an item
- are an item
- been an item
- being an item
The origin of the phrase is not known till now, we have tried to figure out and asked some experts but sadly, nothing is known yet.