if it’s the last thing I do
if it's the last thing I do
- indicates determination to achieve something
- used after a statement of intent to do something
- ... and I'm absolutely going to do it
- ... I'm dedicated to doing this
- sometimes used as a threat (example 5)
- sometimes shows stubbornness;
- ... and I'm not going to stop until it's done (example 6)
- I am going to get this house cleaned today if it's the last thing I do.
- I am going to learn to play the guitar if it's the last thing I do.
- I will see this project through to the end if it's the last thing I do.
- She said she was going to become his wife if it is the last thing she does.
- I'll teach you to respect me if it's the last thing I do.
- I'm going to get my point across if it's the last thing I do.
The origin of this phrase is unknown. "The last thing" indicates a sense of finality. It literally means if it's the final thing I do before I die. But the phrase's figurative meaning is closer to: I will definitely do this before I die, or simply: I will definitely do this.
- if it kills me
- and you're not going to stop me
Idiom of the Day
between you and me Meaning: in confidence. Example: I tell you something, just between you and me, I don't think her painting deserve the first prize.