there’s no such thing as a free lunch
there's no such thing as a free lunch
- to be aware of something that seems free of cost but may have a charge levied in another form
- to get deceived in any form by initially getting lured through offers, discounts and free gifts
- to know that nobody gives out anything for free even if they say that at the onset
- The company has asked the employees to fill in extra work hours this month when the incentive was paid out. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
- I am very careful about making payments for my share of food when we go out because there is no such thing as a free lunch.
- The directors pay me only for the work that I do. Trust me, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
- The girl was sensible to refuse the offer because she knew that there is no such thing as a free lunch.
- I got a call stating I have won a lucky draw and need to come to pick my gift up. I was scammed at the place and ended up paying a sickening amount to the company in return for an awful holiday package deal. I should have known that there is no such thing as a free lunch.
The phrase originated in the late 18th century but a satisfactory literary origin could not be traced.
Idiom of the Day