- to be left-handed
- to use the wrong hand for something
- The mother expected her baby to be a southpaw like her but she was very much right handed.
- I am a southpaw but my brother is not.
- It is not necessary that your twins have to be southpaw because you and your husband are like that.
- The gangster was a southpaw so he needed a special type of a gun. That is what helped the police nab him so easily.
- All my cousins are southpaw but neither I nor my sister are like that.
- The couple both have a southpaw.
- The bank manager is a southpaw so he did not want his desk on the right hand corner of the office.
- My mother has a southpaw.
- The caretaker has a southpaw so she always picks the children up from the opposite direction.
- My son has a southpaw. He takes on my father-in-law and husband.
The term probably comes from the American slang and is speculated to have originated from people referring to their pets using their hind legs more than the front legs. This was considered just as odd as humans having a dominant left hand.
Idiom of the Day
come to a pretty pass
come to a pretty pass Meaning: develop into a bad, unfortunate, or difficult situation. Example: Things have come to such a pretty pass that nowadays parents are afraid ... Read on