son of a gun
son of a gun
- to address someone in an affectionate way
- to call someone in a jocular or appreciative manner
- The son of a gun managed to pass all the subjects this time along! I am so happy!
- I know a son of a gun who will take care of this problem for you.
- That son of a gun has a mean streak and a pure heart.
- The son of a gun did wonderfully well at arranging this party and ensuring that everybody has a great time.
- You son of a gun! You did all this for me?
- He is such a son of a gun to have travelled so far to see us.
- You son of a gun! Come here and give your uncle a hug!
The phrase is an exclamatory noun which can be used as a compliment or to encourage someone. It has been used as a slang to refer to someone since the 1800’s and probably originated from the mafia world where a son of a gun could literally mean the boss’s offspring. The noun is still in use to refer to someone who is an ally. In 2014, a film was titled by this phrase.
Idiom of the Day
Meaning: ing: prosperous, living well. Example: After we earn a million in our new business of gold, we'll hopefully be in a clover Example: ing
Example: ing: prosperous, living well. Example: After we earn a million in our new business of gold, we'll hopefully be in a cloverRead on