drop a bombshell
drop a bombshell or drop a bomb
- make an unexpected, startling or disturbing announcement
- reveal surprising information or news
- My sister dropped a bombshell by announcing she was discontinuing her study for a job.
- Ruth dropped a bombshell when she told us she is pregnant.
- I do not have the courage to drop that kind of bombshell on my family.
- The boss dropped a bombshell, saying my leave application was rejected by the director.
- The Australian Cricket Board dropped a bombshell when they announced that they won’t go to play the series in Pakistan this year.
- Jane dropped a bombshell when she said she was leaving.
This expression, which alludes to the destruction caused by a falling bomb, dates from World War I.
Idiom of the Day
by dint of
by dint of Meaning: as result of something. Example: Mark got what he wanted by dint of requesting and threatening.