- a situation where the result is unclear and can go either way
- a situation where two or more possibilities are equally likely
- an unpredictable situation where either option is possible
- They had a tough time selecting the team for the big match. In the end, it was a toss-up between having the most experienced players and having a youthful team full of raw energy.
- I still have not decided which phone I am going to buy. I guess it is going to be toss-up between the two new launches by the top two companies.
- The final was going to be a toss-up between two evenly matched teams, both of which had equal chances of winning.
- The election is going to be a toss-up between those two candidates, as both of them seem to have a sizable amount of support.
- They are yet to decide on who will get the top job. Most probably it will be a toss-up between the two of of them.
This phrase was first used in 1812. It refers to the actual act of tossing a coin and guessing which side it will land on, and making a decision based on that. This practice makes the event unpredictable and both outcomes are equally possible.
Idiom of the Day
by dint of
by dint of Meaning: as result of something. Example: Mark got what he wanted by dint of requesting and threatening.