- a situation where the result is unclear and can go either way
- a situation where two or more possibilities are equally likely
- an unpredictable situation where either option is possible
- They had a tough time selecting the team for the big match. In the end, it was a toss-up between having the most experienced players and having a youthful team full of raw energy.
- I still have not decided which phone I am going to buy. I guess it is going to be toss-up between the two new launches by the top two companies.
- The final was going to be a toss-up between two evenly matched teams, both of which had equal chances of winning.
- The election is going to be a toss-up between those two candidates, as both of them seem to have a sizable amount of support.
- They are yet to decide on who will get the top job. Most probably it will be a toss-up between the two of of them.
This phrase was first used in 1812. It refers to the actual act of tossing a coin and guessing which side it will land on, and making a decision based on that. This practice makes the event unpredictable and both outcomes are equally possible.
Idiom of the Day
make ends meet
make ends meet also, make both ends meet Meaning | Synonyms make sufficient money to survive on to have adequate money to manage expenses to get by money-wise cope manage break even eke out ... Read on