- habitually doubtful person
- a person who refuses to believe anything until they are given proof
1. He's such a doubting Thomas that he won't believe unless he sees things through his eyes.
2. He's a real doubting Thomas - he simply wouldn't believe I'd won the car until he saw it with his own eyes.
3. She kept trying, hoping to prove all those doubting Thomases wrong.
In the Bible, Thomas would not believe that Jesus had come back from the dead until he saw him.
St. Thomas, apostle who doubted Jesus' resurrection until he had proof of it (John 20:24–29)
First Known Use: 1883