dos and don’ts
dos and don'ts
- rules about what you must do and what you must not do in a specific condition
- what is recommended or allowed and what is not within an area or issue, etc.
- rules or customs concerning some activity
- the rules; the things that should be done and those that should not be done
1. In the back of the guide there's a list of the dos and don'ts of local etiquette.
2. It's important to know the do's and don'ts of diplomatic receptions.
3. I must confess that a bunch of the do's and don'ts don't create much wisdom to me either.
4. It pays to know the dos and don’ts of political conference in advance.
This expression alludes to what one should and should not do or say. [c. 1900]