Idioms beginning with U
- under a cloud
- under a cloud Meaning: under suspicion, in trouble, or out of favor. Example: The luxury transport industry is under a cloud at the moment after newspapers revealed that ... Read on
- under the auspices
- under the auspices Meaning: with the backing, support, patronage of Example: Financial aid is being provided to the country under the auspices of the World Bank
- up in arms
- up in arms Meaning: angry, rebellious. Example: The employees were up in arms over the management’s plan to discontinue five-day week policy.
- up the ante
- up the ante Meaning increase the demands or risks to obtain better results increase the stakes or price of something increase the cost or considerations required to reach ... Read on
- up in the air
- up in the air Meaning unresolved, undecided undecided about something uncertain or unresolved, often because other matters have to be decided first not yet settled or finalized unsure, ... Read on
Idiom of the Day
frighten or scare to death
frighten or scare to death Meaning: make somebody feel very frightened. Example: A shadow appeared in the doorway and scared me to death.